domingo, abril 02, 2006

Whither would you soar?

'The bird that would soar above the level plain of tradition and prejudice must have strong wings. It is a sad spectacle to see the weaklings bruised, exhausted, fluttering back to earth.' "Whither would you soar?"

Isn't this so insanely true? It makes me want to check my shoulder blades.

When Father was a young boy, not older than 8, Grandmother told him, with a very motherly, loving intention of appeasing his discontent at being just a little too skinny, that his pronounced shoulder blades were but small angel wings, in the process of breaking open. My Father believed this little “Chinese tale” as we often call this type of lie, and was terribly disappointed when, after a few years of patient wait, he asked Grandmother about his wings and saw in her blank expression the truth: she did not even remember her story.
For some strange reason, this story has always made a hero, not a wounded bird, out of my Father. At least in my eyes.
My family’s children do not –and never have- believed in Santa Claus or the Easter Rabbit or any strange character of the sort. And yet, whenever we wish to accept it, we will all gladly say we do believe in magic.

I do wonder what I would have answered to Reisz' question...

13 comentarios:

Ida125 dijo...

It is through the imagination that we touch God...
and it is through magic that God touches us.

Bravo for choosing to believe in magic... there are too few left who do.

Anónimo dijo...

This actually has roots in an old Jewish Proverb.Quite practical actually. The old and the young birds set off together to cross the sea. Halfway there it is clear they must turn back or all die. It is chosen that the young shall go on while the old fall into the sea. They all really do go on. Q's D

Anónimo dijo...

My momma always told me if I ate chicken legs I would grow an extra leg. Imagine my disappointment when that never happened...after eating soOooo many KFC chicken legs. LoL! But looking back on it--I'm glad I got just two. =)

I miss you so much!!!

Love you!!!

-Janie

Anónimo dijo...

Take a serious look at Quixote,and then look years down the road at all the things that you don't want to intellectualize, vesus the realities of very bad times not far off on the horizen.What you see is often not what
is seen about you together,and only liars tell you life can be done alone.

Arely dijo...

Janie!!! I miss you too!! let's meet up !! anytime! I was visiting Grandma this weekend, but I got back in town last night. I'll call you.

I'm glad that you only have two legs too :-P !! parents can be so cruel sometimes! and they don't even know it :-D ... hehe...


--


Q's D... you are very right. only people who lack either intelligence or a warm heart believe life can be lived alone. well, maybe our list can include Robinson Crusoe.. hehe. although he had a rough time at first...

The Jewish tale is very sad... I wonder what they meant it to teach..

Who could ever take a serious look at Quijote and still fail to love him? not me : )

--

Thank you, Ida!! that is a beautiful proverb. I do believe God touches us through magic! I hope all of us have at least a bit of magic in our lives, even those who might not notice it...

Anónimo dijo...

They meant to teach that old and young always start out together,but there comes a point when the strength of the young and the inevitable passing of the torch happens, and the young move on to continue making their own lives. It's not really sad. It recognizes that there are critical times and choices, but the ultimate choice must always rest with those whose future is as yet unwritten..Q's mom & I always think of it this way...Darn,just when we get good at it....they leave.Ask your dad&mom. I'll bet they feel the same way. That's why M's & D's are such a pain in the rear,nosy,and frustrating. It's hard to let go & harder still
to realize that you can fly...Hope
your Grandfather is well.Drive safe.

Arely dijo...

Grandfather is much better. Thank you so much for your concern : )
That was a beautiful explanation of the story : ) Still a little sad, I think, but beautiful nevertheless...
... don't let go... not completely, at least. People should hold on to a little bit of the fire, even if we must pass the torch on : )

Raoul The Destroyer dijo...

Uuuuuuuuuuuupdate! UUUUUUUUUUUUUUPDATE!

Anónimo dijo...

Darn it V. Q's M & D want to know if you are O.K., withought worrying about politics. (Q's M&D) .You have our e-mail& the boy is in his cube doing cubic things & it is doubtful if we will see or hear from him until late May.

Raoul The Destroyer dijo...

You do realize, of course, that the only parent who signs these anonymous posts as both Q's mom and dad is just Dad. ;)

Anónimo dijo...

THANK YOU, RAOUL!!!!!
R,B and Q's M

Arely dijo...

politics?
yup... I know it's the Dad :-D It "sounds" like him.

hehe...Hi R,B, and Q's Mom! My Mom would be very glad about the clarification too... hehe... :-D

sorry I havent blogged in a while.. going nuts with school... will do as soon as things calm down a little bit :-D but Quijote is doing well. he's just going nuts too, with all the studying to do and just a few weeks left. I hope they stop giving him assignments so he can concentrate on the quals...

Raoul The Destroyer dijo...

LOL, my pleasure, Mom! :)